I watched the YouTube video from PaperArtsy this morning with a tutorial on using the opaque and translucent paints so the inspiration for my project came from there.
I used the JOFY09 set of stamps for the images and the butterfly is from one of the new sets, JOFY11.
Here it is:
The thermometer is a wood substrate. First I painted it in Nougat which is an opaque paint and gives a good neutral coverage to the bare wood for adding more layers of paint. Then I used a couple of the translucents for the background, Beach Hut and Hey Pesto. This gives a nice shabby distressed look.
I then stamped the flowers and words in black archival ink and heat set it with a heat gun, just to be sure and because I was eager to get on with this project.
The flowers, leaf and grasses are then painted with watered down layers of paint. I used Pumpkin Soup, Hey Pesto, Hyde Park, Beach Hut and Inky Pool.
I was happy with the result but there was something missing so I stamped the butterfly, stood back, looked at it .....oh no! The butterfly was upside down!! All was not lost because Leandra says in the video that opaque paints really are opaque and will cover up anything and its true. I started again with Nougat over the butterfly and once dry added more Beach Hut and it is fixed. Stamped the butterfly the correct way up, painted it and there you go, finished project.
I also wanted to try out a card, inspiration from a fabulous tag by Linda Cain, thank you Linda.
Distress inks used for the background and drops of water to get a faux batik effect. The flowers are again from JOFY09 .... ah, I have got so much use out of that set .... and coloured with distress markers. It was Linda's idea of using the white pen that I wanted to try but I only had a Sakura Souffle pen in white so I had a go and this is the result. I must add a decent white pen to my shopping list.
Finally for today, another card, this time using two of the new JOFY Minis. Images stamped in black archival ink on white card, mask off the panel so that the background remains white and add distress ink to the background. I coloured the leaf using walnut stain distress marker and the buds in the same. This is then mounted on Kraft card.